Hints, Tips and How To, News/Blog

Want permission to fly from private land? Simple risk assessment template…

January 28, 2015

I’ve been asked about a “risk assessment” that I mentioned I had quickly drafted in order to get permission form my local authority to fly from some land they owned. Once I showed them this and my insurance they were very comfortable to give me permission. I’m not saying this is the only way to go about it, but it seemed to work for me. You will obvious need to customise it for each individual situation. Anyway, here’s the template I used:



Flying a remote controlled multirotor aircraft [details of aircraft] (“the craft”) from [location] for the purpose of obtaining aerial photographs/video of [location] by [your name] (“the operator”) by permission of [landowner/authority]. This Risk Assessment to be reviewed annually, or at the time any key factors change.

The nature of flying remote controlled craft is such that it can never be a risk-free activity, however the operator will ta all times fly within rules laid down by current legislation [mention relevant laws if applicable, or relevant guidelines from regulators, governing bodies, etc]. The operator will not fly without valid liability insurance against damage/injury arising from this activity to a minimum of [insert value of coverage]. Further, the operator will follow procedures outlined below to reduce risks arising from flying the craft:


NATURE OF RISK: Injury caused by contact with rotor blades on the craft.

PROCEDURE TO MINIMISE RISK: [E.g. always with guards fitted, only at quiet times, never flown within certain distance of people, etc]

NATURE OF RISK: Injury caused by loss of control, mechanical or electronic failure.

PROCEDURE TO MINIMISE RISK: [E.g. preventative maintenance as per manufacturer recommendations, pre-flight checks, only flown with a GPS lock and failsafe available]


You can see the format. You can add anything else you think might be required – e.g. to reduce risk of property damage you won’t overfly buildings, etc, etc. So if you’re looking to get permission to fly from privately owned land, whether involving a public body or a private landowner, doing something like this can show them you are serious about safety and it might just swing them to saying yes.

You Might Also Like

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible, to facilitate the serving of relevant ads and for site analytics. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.